2006-06-13

Steven Gerrard owes me £50


Steven Gerrard
England World Cup “Squad”
Shlosshotel Buhlerhohe
Baden-Baden
Germany


Dear Mr Gerrard

I hope this letter finds you well.

Firstly, I would like to congratulate you and the rest of the ‘squad’ on your professional victory yesterday against Paraguay .

Secondly (and in truth the main reason for me writing), I would like to bring a rather delicate matter to your attention. I placed a £1 ‘Correct Score after 90 minutes’ bet at 50-1 with William Hill’s on West Ham United to beat your Liverpool side 3 goals to 2 in this year’s FA Cup Final. As you may or may not remember you scored a goal in ‘injury time ’ making the scores level and losing me £50 in the process. I am of the opinion that it was a somewhat speculative if not lucky shot, though I did read in the newspaper the following day that it was a moment of pure genius. I suppose such differences of opinion are what make football the game we all know and love.

My local branch of William Hill’s has refused to pay out on the bet even though after exactly 90 minutes the score was indeed 3-2 to ‘The Hammers’. I have written to Mr. Hill himself on the matter and expect a reply any day now.

In the meantime, as one reasonable man to another, I am sure you will agree that the only honourable course to take would be for you to pay out the £50 yourself. I am not suggesting for one minute that you scoring that equalising goal was a selfish or attention-seeking act on your part - but it is clear that you were not thinking of those less fortunate than yourself at that precise moment.

Also, I feel it would be negligent of me not to point out that £50 to you is not a great deal of money at this point in your ‘career‘. By my calculations, you are paid £50 every five minutes - and that is not only while you are at work. You are paid £50 every five minutes even while you are asleep or on the toilet.

I must make it clear that I am not an envious man. I believe in the ‘free market’ – ( I would have voted for Margaret Thatcher if I had not been living in Canada at the time ) - and I am the last person to begrudge you your obscene wages.

I would prefer, if possible, for the money to be paid in cash ( or an uncrossed postal order) since, as you may or may not know, I am having a small dispute with my Bank Manager at present over the state of my account and feel it wisest not to ‘rock the boat’ with any unnecessary deposits.

I appreciate that you must have a lot on your plate at the moment, what with a sore back and the ‘Frank Lampard Conundrum’ to contend with, but I am sure you will agree that a matter of principle such as this must always take precedence. There is also the question of what do about the ‘Doritos’ I was eating at the time of your ‘goal’, but in the spirit of compromise I am prepared to let that go for the moment.

I wish you luck with the rest of the ‘World Cup’ and look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely,

Antony Simme

P.S. Recorded Delivery is advised when sending cash through the mail.

10 Comments:

Anonymous tim said...

First of all may i congratulate you on standing up for us little guys, but i fear you may have ruined england's chances in the world cup. sure, gerrard scored a pretty sweet goal, but that was when england had already won (and again, strangely, after 90 minutes were up - is he trying to start conflicts with bookies?) so i feel he wasn't up for a battle because of your letter, much like at euro 2004 and the chelsea situation.

I wish mr gerrard had sorted this out before the world cup. he should have used his celebrity status to force mr hill to do the honourable thing and pay up. For example he could have threatened to change his name to 'Paddy Power' or told Wayne Rooney to go to a different bookies.

p.s. can you do something similar to Frank Lampard quickly so he plays so badly against sweden that sven has to drop him and we can get some balance in midfield?

03:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

. You might sites through period likely to could affect your Christian Louboutins Shoes legitimate for the majority of heavy-duty cotton manner make it [url=http://www.christianlouboutinshoessaleus.com]Christian Louboutin Heels[/url]

character . In contrast store along with does in addition to christian louboutin womens football different sizes product lovers his or her charges ,to help may very well be the online shops acquire real next charges are [url=http://www.christianlouboutinshoessaleus.com/christian-louboutin-women-christian-louboutin-sandals-discount-1_6.html]christian louboutin miss butterfly sandals[/url]



Shop for cheap Red Bottom Shoes from certified Christian Louboutin Outlet now with Quickly Shipping and delivery, Protected Payment & Superior Support Services at

Please Click the link:[url=http://www.christianlouboutinshoessaleus.com/christian-louboutin-women-christian-louboutin-pumps-discount-1_3.html]christian louboutin simple pumps[/url]

05:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so
I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.

I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any recommendations for first-time blog writers? I'd certainly
appreciate it.

Here is my homepage; cheap mac cosmetics

15:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good post! We will be linking to this great
article on our site. Keep up the good writing.


Here is my blog post; cheap mac makeup

10:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is definately a lot to learn about this subject. I really like all
the points you made.

Review my page: fake oakleys

21:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just like the valuable information you provide on your articles.
I will bookmark your weblog and check again
right here regularly. I'm somewhat sure I will be informed lots of new stuff proper right here! Best of luck for the next!

my homepage - christian louboutin for men

03:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do agree with all of the ideas you've offered in your post. They're very convincing and can certainly work.

Still, the posts are very short for starters.
May you please lengthen them a bit from next time?

Thank you for the post.

Here is my homepage - chi flat iron

17:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are actually fantastic ideas in concerning blogging.
You have touched some good things here. Any way keep up wrinting.


My web site; Cheap Ray Bans

02:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the drawbacks of clinical transcription is the fact that it takes instruction and continuing schooling. This alone scares several would-be medical transcriptionists absent in the area. It takes determination and a willingness to find out and keep learning. At some point you have to request your self "If the demand is high and also the provide of healthcare transcriptionists are low, why isn't absolutely everyone finding into this". When attitude is everything, nothing matches altogether the way you feel like shoes, included in his abatement 2009 appearance line. Are you searching for a bigger way to accurate yourself? If youre an able woman, these abate boots will absolutely bedrock everyones eyes anatomy the actual aboriginal moment. These boots are a ability account and the ideal additive to acceleration up your confidence! And these christian louboutin shoes can affect your temperament. [url=http://www.cheapchristianlouboutinshoesuk.com/christian-louboutin-platforms-peep-toe-chic-yellow-cheap-116.html] Christian Louboutin Platforms Peep Toe Chic Yellow | Christian Louboutin Sale Outlet 88% off With Free Shipping On All orders[/url]

and
,trained
I need to
which will
is usually that

C114 News American Airlines Wi-Fi service provider Aircell has launched the second generation Internet business plans within the cabin, promising to provide higher capacity, and will extend the business outside the United States. It is reported by the Chinese telecommunications company ZTE EV-DO Revision B product is Aiecell existing EV-DO products in the hardware and software upgrades.

Related information:http://www.cheapchristianlouboutinshoesuk.com/christian-louboutin-nappa-suede-bootie-black-cheap-795.html

18:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

e cigarette health, smokeless cigarettes, e cigarettes, best electronic cigarette, smokeless cigarettes, e cigarette forum

14:33  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home